Radiofrequency (RF) therapy, also called radio frequency skin tightening, is a nonsurgical method of tightening skin which can be used to treat facial and body skin. This procedure involves using energy waves to heat the deep layer of your skin (dermis). This heat stimulates the production of collagen, elastin, and hyaluronic acid to reduce the appearance of fine lines and loose skin.
As people age, their cells produce less collagen, which leads to sagging skin and wrinkles. Around age 35 to 40, the quantity and quality of your collagen begins to decline. Radio frequency skin tightening is a perfect solution to this, helping skin cells continue to produce collagen and make skin appear tightened and ‘youthful’.
At EF MEDISPA we’ve been practicing this innovative technique for some time. In fact, it’s one of our favourite skin tightening treatments for the face and body. So, with our professional experience in mind, we’re going to answer a few commonly asked questions about the technique, its safety and what results you can expect.
How does it work, and what is the process of radiofrequency therapy?
Radiofrequency skin tightening is a non-invasive procedure that involves using RF waves to heat the dermis between 50-75 degrees Celsius. These waves cause the body to generate heat-shock proteins, which stimulates the production of collagen, tightening and contouring the skin. The procedure takes around 30 to 90 minutes depending on how much skin is being treated and is pain-free.
Who would benefit from radiofrequency skin tightening treatments?
The ideal client for RF therapy would be middle age, with early signs of skin loosening and wrinkles. Clients of this treatment will get the best results by combining radiofrequency therapy with other advanced treatments such as chemical peels and laser treatments (follow aftercare advise and only have these additional procedures after RF when it is safe to do so).
What are the benefits of radiofrequency therapy?
Radiofrequency targets wrinkles and skin sagging. Studies have shown that after 6 weeks of RF therapy, skin gradually improves, showing fewer signs of ageing.
In addition to reducing fine lines and wrinkles, RF treatment has many other benefits:
- No healing time is required, meaning daily life can continue as normal after the treatment – However it is important to follow aftercare advise to get the best results.
- This process helps tackle sun damage that causes the collagen in skin to break down by re-introducing the production of collagen.
- An 8-week treatment will show significant improvements in skin elasticity.
- RF therapy increases hyaluronic acid in the skin, which is a natural moisturising skin barrier. This will keep skin looking and feeling fresh and will reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
- This treatment can also help with facial acne.
- RF therapy does not only target facial skin, but it can also be used to target areas of the body that have stretch marks, cellulite, and scars.
Is radiofrequency skin tightening safe?
RF treatments are safe for all skin types if performed by a skincare expert in a clinic or medical facility. This wave-based therapy is calibrated to be performed on all skin types and colours, with minimal side effects. These treatments are FDA-approved because the expert is allowed to control the temperature and monitor it.
How often can radiofrequency therapy sessions be done?
Radiofrequency treatments can be performed every 3 to 4 weeks during an initial course and can be modified to suit certain skin types and goals. The number of sessions required will depend on factors such as age, type of skin and the visibility of wrinkles and fine lines.
To maintain the results of this treatment, it is advised that treatments are carried out every 3 to 4 months after an initial treatment block.
What aftercare does radiofrequency therapy require?
- Gently wash skin, do not use scrubs, or rub vigorously on RF treated skin areas.
- Don’t use any chemical or laser treatments after the RF therapy. Microdermabrasion, waxing, or use of depilatories are not recommended for the next 3-4 weeks.
- Stay well hydrated for best results.
- Ask a skincare specialist what ingredients are excluded from being used after RF treatment.
How long does it take to see the results of radiofrequency skin tightening?
Some may start to see changes to their skin right away. However, the most significant improvements to skin tightness will come later after a set of recommended 6 to 8 treatments over 5 months are completed. Skin can keep getting tighter up to six months after the radiofrequency treatment.
How long does radiofrequency skin tightening last?
Although RF treatments don’t last as long as surgery, they are a great alternative. Once the set of treatment sessions have been completed, it is advised to get maintenance treatments every three months. This will keep results for a year or two until a new set of sessions will need to be carried out.
Get your radiofrequency skin tightening treatment at EF MEDISPA
Combining radiofrequency energy with ultrasound technology to trigger the production of collagen, Radiofrequency London treatment at EF MEDISPA helps to tighten, lift, and smooth the skin using advanced multi-tasking techniques. Book a consultation with us now.